Help Me Study!


This is a cry for help to all those who may be interested or have insight into great study Bibles. I have recently purchased some beautiful Bibles that have been fantastic for carrying around town or to studies. The problem is, very few of these have good study notes. I find I have to refer to my computer or several other books to find basic answers to my questions. That doesn't really help with studying outside my home, as I am not looking to become physically strong (by hefting around large quantities of study materials), but spiritually strong. The study Bibles I currently own are retired from day to day use and I would love to purchase a Bible that will provide solid guidance!

I have recently enjoyed the ESV, but my study options are limited with this version. I think the Literary Study Bible sounds interesting, but again, I don't think it will actually meet my need for study (commentary, cross reference, concordance, etc.) I've been looking at the Ryrie, Thompson-Chain, and Scofield. Any others I should put into the running?

What Study Bible do you own and what do you like or dislike about your particular version/edition?

6 comments:

Kari said...

I love John's Thompson-Chain Study Bible. Have you asked Daniel what he prefers? I know he has a T-C too. However, he has a couple others that I'm sure he's used often while at Emmaus.

Brooke said...

I have the Thompson-Chain and love it! Josh has the Ryrie and LOVES it. When recommending study Bibles this is his #1 for sure.

Unknown said...

Well, I do like the T-C study Bible a lot. It is a good topic searching Bible with many verses put together instead of having to search through each chapter and verse to find what they say. I just was reading the Literary ESV Bible and it is a good Bible to read large quantities of scripture I thought, sense it is typed out as a regular reading style book. Robby Daughters enjoys it as well, but as far as it being a good study Bible I will have to see what he says. Another cool study Bible is the Archaeology Study Bible. It has colored picture and other features, but they are mostly for geographical things, but you might be intrigued to look at that too. I should actually look in the library and ask other people what they like. Just some thoughts for you though.

Mrs.A said...

I grew up on the New Scofield Reference Bible. I am so familiar with it I know where everything is in it by heart -- various comments on different topics, explanations of specific words or concepts, all the help sections in the back, etc.

I got my first New Scofield for my 16th birthday (back in 1972!). I wanted one that would last for a long time, so my folks spent a lot of money to get the finest, softest Moroccan leather. I don't think that particular cover is even available any more. I remember that it cost &26.99, which was a lot of money at the time! in the fundamental Baptist church I grew up in, getting a New Scofield was a right of passage. The "spiritually mature" folks all had one. We even used to have a joke in Baptist circles about relying on "the inspired notes of Scofield!" But it wasn't a superficial or pride thing -- we really did use our Scofields extensively. I finally wore mine out and bought a second one about five years ago. The cover is bonded leather - not as good quality as my first one. I spent $75.00 for it. My first one, if available would probably now be well over $100.

I believe the Scofield now is available in New King James.

I, too, enjoy my ESV. The concordance is better than I anticipated it would be, though I do miss some good explanatory notes and especially cross referencing. The best of both worlds would be an ESV with Scofield's notes!

Merlin enjoys his MacArthur Study Bible. I believe you are on solid doctrinal ground with MacArthur. It comes in both KJV and NKJV. You might look into it.....

Anonymous said...

I have a Ryrie and have always enjoyed it. Nate has a New Geneva Study Bible, and it is really, really nice- it has TONS of notes in it. Paul was the one that introduced him to it. It is written from a Reformed perspective. Nate thought it would be interesting to get some insight into some of their thinking. The majority of the notes don't really relate specifically to reformed theology, although it is weaved throughout. Editors include RC Sproul and JI Packer.

Heidi

Anonymous said...

Just in case I didn't make it clear for those who don't know us, we don't subscribe to Reformed theology, nor is Nate being "swayed" by it. Nate just likes to look at things from various perspectives and think critically and balanced in regards to scriptural principles and uses many different tools in that process. I initially thought it was odd that he would get a study Bible that was written from a different viewpoint, but I was actually surprised at how in depth it is and how much insight it gives on so many things that have nothing to do with Reformed theology.